Thursday, November 20, 2008

1 Peter 2

It seems to be grumpy season in the church I pastor. People that usually would not say an unkind word are striking out verbally at others - the normal gossip and struggles also continue. i find it interesting that Peter felt it necessary to address these things in his day as well. His call is helpful to our congregations today i think, "Rid yourselves, therefore, of all malice, and all guile, insincerity, envy, and all slander." 1 Peter 2:1 NRSV. Nothing good comes of the backbiting and slander that is common in many people groups. I pray that God will keep our folks from hurting each other in these hard times.

This chapter of 1 Peter is one of my very favorite chapters in the Bible. (I know, I know...). I love the words of Peter as he describes our position and condition here, "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." 1 Peter 2:9-10 NRSV. I wonder if we will ever understand who we really are in Christ? and if we can't imagine our own new position, how will we realize the precious position others have in Christ? I think if we could grasp this, it might change everything.

I believe the rest of the call in this chapter is impossible unless we understand the initial premise - that we are a chosen race, a royal priesthood...

I also marvel at these verses, "When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls." 1 Peter 2:23-25 NRSV. I will meditate on these verses today and I pray that God will use them to change my heart and make me more like Jesus!

4 comments:

mw said...

One of the first shocking, revealing truths that came to me after I established a relationship with Christ was this:

That unforgiveness is as serious a sin as adultery, homosexuality, murder any any other sin.

This is important to me, because that fact alone has helped me to overcome daily struggles as people say or do unkind things to me, my friends or my family.

Christ revealed this to me early in our relationship. I needed to forgive and dismiss the comments and actions of people I come in contact with - including my own words and actions sometimes.

Honestly, my life has become a lot calmer since I put this into practice. I may struggle at times, but in the end Christ helps me through it.

I am working on many improvements, but I think the Lord showed me this one first for a very good reason.

Imagine a "Christian" trying to convince unbelievers to come to the Lord while at the same time holding grudges and talking bad about others - refusing to forgive.

We have a "check" in place in our family when one of us falls into the trap of unforgiveness or gossip - we simply ask "Wow, what Church do YOU go to?"

It seems to bring us back to God's way instead of our fleshly habits of old.

Praise God for His wisdom, Grace and guidance!

mw said...

I hope you don't mind a second post, but I feel led to make another entry concerning this subject of unforgiveness. (and grumpiness)

As I was growing up, my Dad and I really didn't have a personal relationship. He worked two jobs, came home and fed all the animals, gave us orders, disciplined us as needed, ran to help neighbors when they called for help, and tried to sleep once in a while.

I was busy being a teeneager of the seventies - I will leave it at that.

Our personal relationship didn't start until I went in the military, grew up, and realized all the things my Dad sacrificed for us...We became best friends and had many great conversations together.

My Uncle Charlie and I, however, had an awesome personal relationship when I was growing up. We shared personal stories, told jokes, shared our poetry and he helped me through all my "rough times" as a teenager.

My Dad passed away in 1988 and my favorite Uncle didn't make it to the funeral. I was devastated to say the least. I felt he should have been there for my Mom and our family. I never asked why...I just refused to talk to him...for 18 years!

A little over two years ago my wife and I gave ourselves to the Lord. One night, driving alone, I felt the Lord telling me to call my Uncle Charlie.

It was not easy after being stubborn and unforgiving for 18 years, but I did call him. I told him I was sorry, that I loved him and asked for his forgiveness.

It was beautiful.

We started a new relationship off that phone call. I called him several times a month for the last 2 years or so. He told me jokes, encouraged me in my faith and sometimes explained bible passages to me.

I thank God that He had me call him.

Uncle Charlie passed away last night. There is no doubt where he will be spending eternity. And, he no longer suffers from his fleshly sicknesses.

I cried with joy that the Lord had me cleanse my heart of unforgiveness for him before he died.

I guess you don't realize how heavy that burden of sin is until it is lifted from your heart.

I thank God for His wisdom and His instruction...and I pray that I have ears to hear the rest of His messages for me.

Beth Quick said...

v 16 "As servants of God, live as free people, yet do not use your freedom as a pretext for evil."

Those just seem such important/timely words to me.

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, Welcome back, MW! Where have you been all my life? I missed out back-and-forth with Bill, but it's so great to see you on here again. Such great stories you told - incredible how much forgiveness really does mean a lot to us as people, and especially to those who are forgiven. I've been forgiven a few times, and it sure feels a lot better than being miserable forever. Isn't it crazy to think that lack of forgiveness is just as much a sin as those other nasty ones? You certainly wouldn't think that most of the time, would you?
Bill, this is a beautiful chapter, and it's great to think of ourselves as a "chosen race." When Yesterday, we had the Young Life Committee/leaders Christmas party. It made me realize how many people are supporting our mission in this area, and how blessed I was to be one of the few chosen people to work with these kids. Reading these verses brings me back to being one of those Young Life Kids in high school, and I realize that I'm now very different, unable to go back. I've chosen the better life, and now I have to continue to live up to it!
By his wounds we have been healed, and thank goodness, because we all were like sheep and had gone our own way (as we still often do!). The Lord gives us the ability to share this love and forgiveness, so let us do so by "ridding ourselves of malice, guile, insincerity, envy, and slander" - doesn't seem so hard, right?
:-)
See you soon
Marshall