Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Titus 3

As Paul wraps up this letter to Titus he reminds him, and us, to have the following traits in our ministries and in our lives, "Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show every courtesy to everyone." Titus 3:1-2 NRSV.

I remember when I was preparing to marry my wife 25 years ago, my father encouraged me to be kind to her. I remember clearly smiling and nodding my head at that advice, but secretly I thought, "What is he talking about? Isn't there better advice than that for a terrified young groom?" Now, years later, I wish I had taken that advice to heart. I regret the times I was unkind to my wife. Don't get me wrong, I was never horrible, but I wish I had been kinder. This memory causes me to take another look at this seemingly simplistic council from Paul. "Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show every courtesy to everyone." Titus 3:1-2 NRSV.

Paul seems to have a better balance of works and grace here as Titus closes, "so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is sure. I desire that you insist on these things, so that those who have come to believe in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works; these things are excellent and profitable to everyone." Titus 3:7-8 NRSV.

Paul's closing counsel and personal notes give us a glimpse into the personal side of his ministry. I love how he takes care to order the life of the church - to provide for relief workers to free Titus up, to make sure Apollos and Zenas are well provided for. When I was younger, the administrative side of the church, the "order" was a nuisance and the last thing I cared to do. As I have grown older and my ministry has grown, I see the blessing of good administration and find it pleasurable to do. Who would ever have thought I'd have said and meant those words!

2 comments:

Beth Quick said...

I think the words about courtesy and gentleness are important. Sometimes I think in the life of the church if we said what we needed to say with more kindness, it wouldn't be so difficult to wade through the conflicts we face.

Marshall Bailey said...

More kindness, less conflict - what an idea Elizabeth! That can be true the world over, not just in the church - it seems that it should be a given in the church!
Bill, I like your words, and your father's words on kindness. He's so right, it's something that we really need to have, no matter what the conflict. According to Paul, we're supposed to avoid quarreling, not make it worse or cause more issues.
People that come to God are supposed to devote their lives to good works, which are excellent and profitable to everyone! What an idea - I mean, why wouldn't we want to do something that helps others, not just ourselves. That's what I hope to do in my career as a teacher - help others in school, in church, etc., not just go to work and spend all my time to earn a dollar.
It's great that you've come to enjoy the administrative things. We count on you for that a lot of times, don't we? A lot of times, especially as new Christians, we're looking for direction - we can't step up and take over for people who know what is going on and have so much knowledge about the church and the Bible. When we see you and the knowledge and direction you provide, we feel better. This direction was probably much more difficult to find when you were "young in the church," and I can relate to that. So glad you're there.
I'll make the extra effort to be kind to people today.
Thanks for everything,
Marshall