Wednesday, November 12, 2008

2 Thessalonians 2

Paul speaks again here about the Second coming of Christ. Some apparently had been deceived and had been told that Christ had already returned. Paul tells them that this in nonsense and can not occur until the one who is restraining the lawless on is removed. I believe the one restraining the lawless on is Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit is the civilizing restraining one that Wesley referred to when he spoke of Prevenient Grace. This prevenient or preventing grace keeps us and all humanity from sliding in to the depths of carnality. According to Paul, when this restraint is removed, the Lawless one will be revealed.

The deception will be complete when, “For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion, leading them to believe what is false, so that all who have not believed the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness will be condemned.” 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12. Lord, save us from taking pleasure in what is unrighteous and draw us by your Spirit to love your kingdom.

Paul encourages them and us to strengthen our resolve to live in the faith that we have received and not to compromise with the world. How many places and in how many ways have we adapted ourselves to the worlds wisdom and turned from the gospel? Lord, where have I become either a Pharisee or a hedonist in my walk?

2 comments:

Beth Quick said...

This is a chapter I feel like I've never read before. I guess just never noticed. Feels like it belongs somewhere else! But I guess I'm just not that familiar with 2 Thess!

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, they must have been really interested in the second coming of the Lord back then, which probably would have been better for their faith, knowing that God is on is way at any time. If they were so worried/concerned about it back then, why aren’t we as concerned right now…2,000 years later!?
I don’t want this restraint to be removed, and I don’t want to meet this lawless dude…he seems pretty scary…against everything godly but then pretending to be God? That doesn’t sound good…At least we have our hope in Christ, as long as we stand firm.
I hate when I know I’m compromising to the world, because all that we read tells us not to (in here), but all that we read and see and hear (out of here) doesn’t seem to agree! They say all kinds of crazy things that turn us away from Christ, instead of closer. Why are we so okay with that all the time? Blah.
Marsh